Chris and I have made it to Sydney --- after a 15 hour flight and 5 trains. My first observation is that it is much colder than expected. After three months of 90+ degree weather in Sacramento, feeling 50 degrees at 6:30 AM is a shock to the system. However, during the two days we've been here the weather has been spectacular. Sunny and warm in the sun, but still cool enough that pants are a must. The other shock to the system has been the cost of everything -- $5 for a cup of coffee, $10 for a pint of Lowenbrau at the nearby German restaurant. I just can't get over it. But we have to eat, so I've been trying to suck it up and enjoy how beautiful it is here.
Yesterday (Sunday), we rented bikes from Bonza bikes about 2 blocks from our hotel. Our hotel is located in an amazing area -- right near the Sydney Harbour Bridge and a view of the ever iconic Sydney Opera House. We decided to take advantage of our location by riding over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Sydney is an exceptionally fit city with people cycling and running everywhere. Apart from that, we also learned the first rule of most British Commonwealth Countries -- look right first, then left. I had to yell at Chris to ride on the left side of the road, which of course goes against every instinct we've had ingrained in us since children. In any case, we made it across the bridge, which is much longer than expected and breathtaking (literally -- it's quite a climb!). We ambled our way around the other side of Sydney Harbour, but couldn't really get our bearings, so biked back, this time to the Royal Botanic Gardens.
What sets Sydney apart from every other city of its size, is the location. The harbour just seems to be everywhere you look. Clearly, it's impressive. I say clearly because Chris has taken hundreds of photos of the Opera House in the 36 hours we've been here. He's taken pictures from almost every possible angle -- from one side of the harbour, from the roof of our hotel, at dawn, at sunset, from the Taronga Zoo Ferry, from the front and the back. I'd say the only shot he hasn't gotten is from above, but I know he would if he could overcome his fear of heights and climb to the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge. I guess we'll have our choice of photos (and then some) when we get home!
What has also set Sydney apart is the indigenous wildlife. Sydney used to be completely covered in subtropical forests before it was settled by the British 200 years ago. But you can still find what used to be at Bradley's Head -- our first attempt at "Bush Walking." Bush walking is what Aussies call hiking. We have already seen a flock of noisy cockatoos, beautifully colored lorakeets, and the guffaws of the kookaburra -- all of this while still seeing the Opera House in the background. It truly is amazing.
I'm running out of time at the computer, so I'll have to sign out for now. We went to the Taronga Zoo after our bushwalking -- a site that has made amazing use of the bluffs upon which it sits. We're flying 1500 miles north to Cairns tomorrow and then boarding a boat to the Coral Sea. Until then, G'day and Good Luck!
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lots of traveling, sounds like fun. I am sitting in a cubicle coding right now! Sydney is definitely on my must-see list. Upload a picture or two for us :D Actually, screw us, just have fun (but upload a pic if you get time).
Hope you're having a wonderful time! It sounds amazing thus far.
Post a Comment